04 April 2011

5K PB!

Yesterday at the Fort Collins Running Club's T&H finale I set a 5K PB by 22 seconds, finishing in 24:20 (7:43).  My old PB was set at the Colder Boulder in Dec 2008, so it's been awhile (not that I run a lot of 5Ks, last was in May I think).  I am pretty excited about this. 

My speed has not been the same since injuring my ITB in September 2009, mostly because I never picked speed work back up after the injury.  I still don't run any regular speedwork, though things like Towers and treating social runs kind of like tempo runs in trying to keep up with the fast guys and girls surely count for something.  Lately I have felt a little extra something something when opening it up on the roads so I was hopeful on Sunday and went for broke from the gun.  I went out too hard, but not too too hard I guess. ;-)  Most of my short race PBs are ill-run from a pacing perspective, as Sunday's 7:35, 7:44, 7:57, 1:04 would illustrate. 

It's funny how things like this shape your views on future races.  I had all but given up on breaking 50 in the Bolder Boulder this year, or even beating my BB/10K PB of 51:39.  I also had no thoughts of a half PB in the Horsetooth Half.   Now I'm thinking all that is possible.  I've even thought a bit about a another road marathon.  Only so Nick would have another data point in his Towers-Marathon prediction formula of course.

Oh, and I'm going for broke up the hill on Thursday.  I'm feeling fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment